XXX: State of the Union (released as XXX2: The Next Level and XXX: State of Emergency outside North America) is a 2005 American action film directed by Lee Tamahori and a sequel to the 2002 film XXX. It is the second installment of the XXX film series, and was produced by Revolution Studios for Columbia Pictures.
Vin Diesel and Rob Cohen, the lead actor and director of the original, had signed onto a sequel before the first film had opened, but both dropped out as Diesel disliked the script, while Cohen worked on Stealth. Cohen remained as an executive producer. Ice Cube took over the lead role as the new Triple X agent and Tamahori was brought in to direct, following the huge commercial success of the James Bond film Die Another Day, which he directed. Two different scripts were prepared for the film, and the one written by Simon Kinberg was selected; the other script featured a radically different plot.
State of the Union was a box-office bomb and it was criticized by reviewers, mainly for the performances, an illogical story, and overuse of CGI-based visual effects for most of the action sequences. State of the Union is the last film in the XXX film series to be distributed by Columbia Pictures, as Paramount Pictures became the distributor for its future films, starting with Return of Xander Cage in 2017.
Skywalker Sound provided the Post Production Sound Services: Christopher Boyes is the Sound Designer; Frank Eulner and Tom Bellfort are the Supervising Sound Editors (this is Bellfort's final credit on a Skywalker Sound project, though Soundelux might've been one of the other and uncredited post production sound service on the film); Tim Nielsen, J.R. Grubbs and Kyrsten Mate are the Sound Effects Editors; Shannon Mills, Jonathan Null and Marshall Winn are the foley editors; Lisa Chino is the assistant sound effects editor; Andre Fenley is the assistant sound editor, and Dee Selby is the assistant sound design(er).
Sound Effects Used
- Hollywoodedge, Crash Metal Shatter PE110401
- Hollywoodedge, Warning Buzzer Space PE194501
- SKYWALKER BULLET RICOCHET 01 (Normal and very high-pitched edits)
- SKYWALKER, ELECTRICITY - SINGLE SPARK CHIRP 01
- SKYWALKER, ELECTRICITY - WHISTLE-LIKE SPARK WHINE
- SKYWALKER EXPLOSION 01
- SKYWALKER EXPLOSION 05 (Processed into a very high pitch)
- SKYWALKER EXPLOSION 13 (modified)
- SKYWALKER EXPLOSION 14
- SKYWALKER EXPLOSION 16
- SKYWALKER, EXPLOSION - BIG CRUNCH (Various pitches for water splashes.)
- SKYWALKER, EXPLOSION - CRASHED METAL SQUEAKING ACCENT
- SKYWALKER, EXPLOSION - MASSIVE EXPLOSION, LOUD, HYPER-REALISTIC
- SKYWALKER, EXPLOSION - MASSIVE INFERNO ROARING (normal and -12 pitch edits)
- SKYWALKER, EXPLOSION - SHARP, MUFFLED BLAST
- SKYWALKER GRENADE LAUNCHING SOUND
- SKYWALKER HIGH-PITCHED POW SOUND
- SKYWALKER, HISS - MECHANICAL EJECT HISS
- SKYWALKER, JET - ARTOO'S ROCKET THRUSTERS
- SKYWALKER, METAL - BIG VEHICLE CRASH (very high-pitched)
- SKYWALKER METAL CRASHING SOUND
- SKYWALKER METAL, SQUEAK - BIG METAL SQUEAK WITH HINGE
- SKYWALKER, METAL - QUICK DOUBLE SQUEAK 02
- SKYWALKER, WHOOSH - ARTILLERY FALL 01
- SKYWALKER, WHOOSH - METALLIC PIECES FLY BY
- Sound Ideas, ELECTRICITY, SPARK - HIGH VOLTAGE SPARK, ELECTRICAL 02 (-12 pitch for an explosion from an open pipe)
- Unknown Sound Effects Library, Metal Creaking