Hello, I am trying to find additional information about this particular car crashing sound effect: CAR CRASH HEAVY, GLASS SHATTER AFTER IMPACT (20th Century Fox) . So far, here's everything I know about it:
"If anyone remembers "Driver: You Are The Wheelman", they might remember this sound as the crashing sound used in-game. But, there's MORE to this sound than just that. It was actually used in NUMEROUS car chases of the 1970s and 1980s.
So far, here's the list of ALL the titles of the Movies/TV Shows I found it in:
1. The French Connection (1971)
2. Vanishing Point (1971)
3. M*A*S*H (1972-1983)
4. The Poseidon Adventure (1972)
5. The Last American Hero (1973)
6. The Seven-Ups (1973)
7. 99 and 44/100% Dead (1974)(heard in trailer at least, I don't know if it's in the film itself or not)
8. The Towering Inferno (1974)
9. Race With The Devil (1975)
10. The French Connection II (1975)
11. The Kansas City Massacre (1975)
12. Cannonball (1976)
13. Gator (1976)
14. Silver Streak (1976)
15. Smokey & the Bandit (1977)(heard in trailer but NOT the final film)
16. Wizards (1977)
17. The Driver (1978)
18. Hooper (1978)
19. The Hunter (1980)(heard in trailer at least, I don't know if it's in the film itself or not)
20. Eyewitness (1981)(heard in trailer but NOT the final film)
21. The Fall Guy (1981-1986)(heard in the Season 3 episodes "Dirty Laundry" and "The Last Drive").
22. Cagney and Lacey (1982-1988)(variant/possible alternate take)(heard in the Season 3 episode "Unusual Occurrence" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79ef8...)
23. The Soldier (1982).
24. Impulse (1984)(heard in trailer but NOT in the final film)
25. The Terminator (1984)(ONLY in the original mono mix)
26. Commando (1985).
27. Mischief (1985)
28. The Man with One Red Shoe (1985)
29. Jumpin' Jack Flash (1986)(heard in trailer but NOT in the final film)
30. Maximum Overdrive (1986)(heard in trailer at least, I don't know if it's in the film itself or not)
Of these 30 titles, 18 of them are 20th Century Fox productions, meaning that it was originally their sound. 12 of these titles have this sound effects guy who went by the name of Theodore Soderberg, indicating that it was probably his sound. To further prove that the sound originally belonged to Soderberg, according to his Wikipedia article, he was active from 1970-1986, which happens to be the same era of the years in which the Movies/TV Shows it was heard in were released (1971-1986). However, Soderberg isn't the ONLY guy I believe was connected to it, as there's probably another: Don J. Bassman, whose name appears in the credits of "The Kansas City Massacure" (1975), which utilized it 10 times!
The earliest known films that it's heard in (The French Connection and Vanishing Point) were released in 1971. While it's very likely that this was when the sound byte was originally recorded, it's pure speculation, as it has yet to be fully confirmed. However, what is clear is that all the known early titles it showed up in are 20th Century Fox films, indicating that 20th Century Fox was the only production company that utilized it within the first 3 years of its existence. It would not be until 1974 when The Towering Inferno was released to theaters when another movie production company (Warner Brothers in this case) gained access to it. The latest known usage for it was in 2 trailers (Maximum Overdrive and Jumping Jack Flash), both movies being released in 1986, though it's not fully confirmed that this was when it was last utilized.
However, considering that nobody bothers to claim ownership of the sound byte, I simply took it upon myself to not only adopt it for my own sound effects library, but also to go ahead with utilizing it in my OWN movies, including my first full-length film, "Return of the Black Thrasher: The Movie" (2009) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1toxsP-T9h4)! I even have it as my default notification sound on my Android mobile phone! I swear to God that there's no better car crash sound effect than the sound byte I speak of."
While this may be a lot of information about this particular sound effect, it is still incomplete, and I am STILL looking for more intel on this sound, especially other titles that it was heard in that are NOT on this list. If anyone has heard this sound in anything else that is NOT on this list, PLEASE comment down below, and I will update this blog here. Thank you very much.