Sup guys, Alex Roman at your service. I am 19, huge animal lover, PDD-NOS and probably Aspie as well, and I came to this wiki because I learned how to recognize many of the media's most used stock sound effects when I was little. Jacobjohn55, one of my favorite people on the wiki says that recognizing stock SFX as good as he can is a sign of autism or Asperger's, which is accurate for me.
My Honest thoughts on commonly used SFX
In case anyone is wondering, this isn't necessarily complaining, but showing the world my honest opinions in a descriptive way.
I like it.
- Elektra Records, Hyena - I love this effect because it reminds me of the It's A Big Big World website from PBS Kids, and it was mixed with some other effects.
- Elektra Records, Tropical Birds 02 - It was mixed with the hyena noise in the same It's A Big Big World website on PBS Kids.
- Hollywoodedge, Bird Rooster 2 Crow PE021501 - I like it because it sounds more realistic and less piercing than the Series 6000 samples, but it brings back memories of Curious George Cows Don't Quack game from PBS Kids, and SpongeBob. I am specifically referring to the first effect in this sample.
- Hollywoodedge, Elephant Single Clas AT043801 - It reminds me of the Living Books game, Arthur's Reading Race when Arthur and DW were at the zoo.
- Hollywoodedge, Elephant Single Shor AT043401 - I love this because it reminds me of The Croods when my 8th grade Career Discoveries/6th grade ELA teacher who taught the former class used to put on that movie, Tarzan (when Tantor toots like that) and Zootopia (the cut out version). I think it pairs nicely with HB's ELEPHANT TRUMPETING, THREE TIMES, ANIMAL.
- Hollywoodedge, Cats Two Angry YowlsD PE022601 Overused? Sure, bit this effects is nothing to me. While it's not exactly everyone's cup of tea on this site, I do tolerate this sound. It reminds me of The Secret Life of Pets, among others. I even heard the third and fourth yowls of this in Rubbadubbers in Sploshy's Wishes when Terence pulls out things from his genie jar.
- Hollywoodedge, Chimpanzee Screeche PE026201 - It reminds me of Diddy Kong from Super Smash Bros. Brawl and to some degree, the Simpsons.
- Sound Ideas, ANIMAL, MONKEY - VARIOUS SCREAMS, APE - It reminds me of the Rio movies.
- Sound Ideas, BIRD, ROOSTER - ROOSTER: TWO CALLS, ANIMAL - It reminds me of Mulan when the rooster crowed like that in the movie.
- Hanna-Barbera rooster noises - They are a little similar to Series 6000 rooster noises, but they're so many times better, especially the 2nd one.
- Sound Ideas, CARTOON, CAT - MEOW, ANIMAL 03 - It's like a happier version of Sound Ideas, CAT - DOMESTIC: SINGLE MEOW, ANIMAL 02.
- Sound Ideas, COMEDY, ACCENT - DUCK HORN: SINGLE BLOW 03 - It reminds me of Martha Speaks Scrub a Pup Game on the PBS Kids website.
- Sound Ideas, ELEPHANT - ELEPHANT TRUMPETING, THREE TIMES, ANIMAL - I used to dislike this effect because I cried after hearing this since I was a kid, but I grew a soft spot for it since I decided to hear it on the Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs Happy Meal commercial. Like the lion sound (see below), it gives me memories of Baby Noah: Animal Expedition.
- Sound Ideas, LEOPARD - BLACK LEOPARD: SNARL, ANIMAL, CAT 01
- Sound Ideas, LION - ROARING, ANIMAL, CAT - I loved this sound effect since hearing it from Baby Noah: Animal Expedition and it reminds me of that Baby Einstein DVD and the road monster from The SpongeBob SquarePants movie that roared like this lion effect. Maybe one of Series 6000's best animal effects, despite their reputation for low-key obnoxious/overused animal effects.
- Sound Ideas, ZIP, CARTOON - BIG WHISTLE ZING OUT
- Sound Ideas, CAT - DOMESTIC: SINGLE MEOW, ANIMAL 02 - It's decent-tier to my ears, but I heard better. It reminds me of Caillou when Gilbert meowed like this. A lot of Nick Jr. shows seem to like this effect. It does sound low-key sad, but it's also somewhat gentle and tolerable. I like this effect better in lower or higher pitches.
- Sound Ideas, HUMAN, BABY - CRYING - It does have a sad and sorrowful tone to it, but it reminds me of Baby Kate from Arthur, and to a lesser extent, Joy from Super WHY!.
- Sound Ideas, SHEEP - ADULT CALLING, ANIMAL - It does have a tone similar to Sound Ideas, COW - SINGLE MOO, ANIMAL 02, but between the two, this sheep effect is better, IMO. I like this one better in higher or lower pitches, like the low-pitched copy from Wild World of Animals.
- Sound Ideas, STEREO, TURNTABLE - NEEDLE SCRATCHING RECORD, RECORD PLAYER 02 - Not my favorite, but it reminds me of The Lion King 1½ (2004).
The Deadly 4
- Sound Ideas, HORSE - EXTERIOR: WHINNY, ANIMAL 06 - It's not exactly my favorite, but I did find this sound effect to be quite expaserating at times, but to be fair, it reminds me of the Mo Creatures mod on Minecraft because horses neighed this effect. Because of this, I think that this is a low-key hit-or-miss effect (more hit than miss for this one).
I don't like it.
- Sound Ideas, COW - SINGLE MOO, ANIMAL 01 and 02 - The 1st one is quite a powerful effect (well, too much for my own tastes), but I found the 2nd one to be quite irritating, especially when I was a kid. They sound almost like whiny cows. I actually cried after hearing this effect. One time this happened, I talked to my family about this problem and my dad told me that "Even if it's your favorite show, you're still gonna hear it". Turns out, he's right, all along, in that for example, I wanted to get into a show called "Fly Tales", but in the episode, "The Chocolate Coin", I fell for the 2nd effect and I rarely watched that show since.
I agree big time with WhitneyGoLucky about this and the rooster noises I'll mention below!
The deadliest of the 4
- Sound Ideas, BIRD, ROOSTER - MORNING CALL, ANIMAL 01/02 - I hated this effect since I got traumatized once when I was little. Like the cow sounds, I used to cry after hearing this effect. For example, I fell for this effect in Fanboy and Chum Chum and I stopped watching that show since then. I think it's sad that sound editors for Nelvana shows use this effect. Also, f*ck any sfx from other libraries blatantly identical to them.