Thomas & Friends: Hero of the Rails is a 2009 CGI-animated direct-to-DVD family adventure film and feature-length special of the British television series, Thomas & Friends. The film was produced by HIT Entertainment, with animation done by Nitrogen Studios. It introduces full CGI animation replacing live-action models, and the addition of a voice cast for the characters alongside the narration to the TV series.
The film features the voice of Ben Small, and Martin Sherman as Thomas the Tank Engine, for the UK and US respectively. It was first released on DVD, and on iTunes on January 12th, 2010. To promote the film a "Day Out with Thomas 2010: The Hero of the Rails Tour" was held at locations such as the Illinois Railway Museum, where guests could participate in activities such as arts and crafts or ride on a 15-ton replica of Thomas the Tank Engine.
A mobile app, Thomas & Friends: Hero of the Rails, would then be released in May of 2011. The DVD was also released in 2019 in "The Heroic Collection", along with Misty Island Rescue, Day of the Diesels, Blue Mountain Mystery, and Tale of the Brave.
One summer, Thomas comes across an old abandoned engine called Hiro. Desperately in need of repair, Hiro faces the Smelters Yard, so Thomas and his friends must work together to save poor Hiro from this fate.
Sound Effects Used
- Edward Whistle (Used for Edward's whistle in a normal pitch, Percy's in a higher pitch, and Henry's in a lower pitch.)
- Hollywoodedge, Hammer Hitting An Anv TE037904 (Can be heard being mixed with Sound Ideas, TRAIN, STEAM - SIGNAL FALLS, for when the signals turn from red to green.)
- Hollywoodedge, Medium Exterior Crow PE140401
- Hollywoodedge, Medium Exterior Crow PE140501
- Hollywoodedge, Metal Creaks Machine FS015801 (Heard in various pitches throughout the film for the engines brakes squeaking/squealing.)
- Hollywoodedge, Metal Creaks Machine FS015802 (Can be heard in a normal pitch, along with a few very low pitched variants.)
- Hollywoodedge, Metal Debris StressC PE285001
- Hollywoodedge, Metal Scrapes 1 SS010301 (Low volume; can be heard in the background when Thomas is being fixed at the Steamworks.)
- Hollywoodedge, Seagulls No Surf BT022101 (Low volume; used for the off-screen Seagulls at Brendam Docks.)
- Hollywoodedge, Steam Train Whistle BB030201 (Lower pitched; used as Hiro's whistle.)
- James Whistle (Used for James' whistle in a normal pitch, and Gordon's in a high pitch.)
- SKYWALKER, METAL - PINCHY CLAW IMPACTS (One of the impacts is used once when the valve wheel on Hiro's left cylinder comes off during the first chase sequence, and another time when Spencer falls into the mud after The Fenland Track breaks under his weight.)
- Sound Ideas, AUTO, SKID - TIRE SKID 01
- Sound Ideas, BIRD, OWL - CALLING, ANIMAL 02
- Sound Ideas, FOOTSTEPS, METAL - MALE LEATHER SOLE: WALK (First footstep only, low volume; heard once when Thomas’ driver walks over a piece of the rails, before Percy comes to see Thomas.)
- Sound Ideas, METAL, SQUEAK - METAL STRESS 02
- Sound Ideas, SQUEAK, METAL - LARGE METAL OBJECT ROLLING, SCI FI (Parts of this sound can be heard being used for when the engines start braking.)
- Sound Ideas, TRAIN, CRASH - TRAIN, CRASHES, EXPLODES, DIGIFFECTS (Squeaking/screeching element only, low volume; can be heard during the overhead shot of the Sodor Steamworks when Thomas is being fixed.)
- Sound Ideas, TRAIN, FREIGHT - PASS BY, RUMBLE, SQUEAKY WHEELS (Higher pitched; used for pieces of rolling stock traveling at high speeds.)
- Sound Ideas, TRAIN, RAILYARD - TRAIN, SWITCHYARD, CARS BEING COUPLED, METAL CRASH, VERSION 2, DIGIFFECTS (Heard twice, when Thomas hits the end of a line trucks filled with potatoes, and when Spencer hits a truck under the slate hopper at the Sodor Slate Quarry.)
- Sound Ideas, TRAIN, STEAM - ENGINE WHISTLE (GWR) 01 (Used as Spencer's whistle.)
- Sound Ideas, TRAIN, STEAM - SIGNAL FALLS (Can be heard being mixed with Hollywoodedge, Hammer Hitting An Anv TE037904, for when the signals turn from red to green.)
- Sound Ideas, TRAIN, STEAM - STEAM TRAIN: BRAKING TO STOP, HEAVY BRAKE SQUEAL
- Sound Ideas, TRAIN, STEAM - STEAM TRAIN: IDLE, LOUD STEAM RELEASE CHUGS
- Sound Ideas, TRAIN, STEAM - STEAM TRAIN: PASS BY CLOSE
- Thomas Whistle
- Unknown Sound Effects Library, Big Metal Impact (Last half only, right channel; heard once when Kevin falls on his side when Hero is being restored.)
- Unknown Sound Effects Library, Metal Creaking (Slightly lower volume; heard once during the first chase sequence when more parts fall off of Hero, before him, Thomas and Spencer all come to a stop.)