The Whole Nine Yards is a 2000 American crime comedy film directed by Jonathan Lynn and distributed by Warner Bros. It was written by Mitchell Kapner and stars Bruce Willis, Matthew Perry, Amanda Peet, Michael Clarke Duncan, and Natasha Henstridge. Its story follows a mild-mannered dentist as he travels to Chicago to inform a mob boss about the whereabouts of his new neighbor, a former hitman with a price on his head.
The film was produced by Morgan Creek Productions, Franchise Pictures, Rational Packaging, and Lansdown Films and was released on February 18, 2000. The film received mixed reviews from critics and grossed $106 million. A sequel, The Whole Ten Yards, was released in 2004.
Jimmy "The Tulip" Tudeski (Bruce Willis), a mob hitman-turned-informant, ratted on the mob and put his life in jeopardy. Now he has moved to suburban Montreal, ostensibly to make a new start. His next-door neighbor is mild-mannered, unhappily married dentist Nick "Oz" Oseransky (Matthew Perry). Nick recognizes Jimmy from the newspaper stories about his mob testimony, and that's when Nick's simple, boring world turns upside down.
Sound Effects Used
- Hollywoodedge, Crash Metal Shatter PE110201 (Heard once in a low volume during a car explosion sequence.)
- Hollywoodedge, Doppler Car Horn By Ap PE077401/Hollywoodedge, Doppler Horn By HighP CT053001 (Heard once before cutting to the next shot.)
- Hollywoodedge, Home Doorbell Classi PE192101 (Heard twice in a -1 pitch.)
- Hollywoodedge, Large Splash Or DiveW PE127101 (Heard once after when Jimmy kills Frankie.)
- Hollywoodedge, Owl Great Horned Hoot AT083001 (Heard once in a low volume.)
- Hollywoodedge, Seagulls No Surf BT022101
- Hollywoodedge, Telephone Rings Bell PE170601 (Heard quadrice in a low volume.)
- Sound Ideas, CAMERA, FLASH - ELECTRONIC FLASH: FLASH POP AND CHARGING WHINE (Only the whining part is briefly heard.)
- Sound Ideas, DOOR, WOOD - CLOSE 03 (Heard once off-screen at the beginning of the movie when Oz shuts the door.)
- Sound Ideas, DOOR, WOOD - OPEN 03 (Heard thrice.)
- Sound Ideas, HUMAN, FART - MEDIUM FART 01 (Heard once in a slightly low pitch off-screen when someone (or Oz) farts.)
- Sound Ideas, HUMAN, SCREAM - SCREAM: FEMALE, HORROR 03 (Heard once in the background as it shows Jimmy's tulip tattoo on his elbow, then we zoom out to reveal a newspaper magazine that contains a picture of him raising his arms, on the top right, before cutting to the next shot.)
- Sound Ideas, THUNDER - BIG THUNDER CLAP AND RUMBLE, WEATHER 01 (Used as a freeze-framed image of Jimmy Tudeski raising his arm up close with a tulip tattoo on his elbow.)
- Sound Ideas, THUNDER - THUNDER CLAP AND RUMBLE, WEATHER 01 (Heard partially once in the background before we zoom in to Nicholas Oseransky up close towards the camera.)
The alternate version of Sound Ideas, DOOR, WOOD - OPEN 03 is heard in the film. The squeaking part is high-pitched.