The Muppet Christmas Carol is a 1992 American Christmas musical fantasy comedy drama film directed by Brian Henson (in his feature directorial debut) from a screenplay by Jerry Juhl. The fourth theatrical film in The Muppets franchise, it was the first film to be produced following the deaths of Muppets creator Jim Henson and performer Richard Hunt, with the film being dedicated to both of them. Adapted from the 1843 novella A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, it stars Michael Caine as Ebenezer Scrooge, alongside Muppet performers Dave Goelz, Steve Whitmire, Jerry Nelson, and Frank Oz portraying various roles. Although artistic license is taken to suit the aesthetic of the Muppets, The Muppet Christmas Carol otherwise follows Dickens's original story closely.
The film was released in the United States on December 11, 1992, by Buena Vista Pictures Distribution. It received modest box office success and mostly positive reviews. It is the first Muppets film to be produced by Walt Disney Pictures, whose parent company acquired the Muppets franchise in 2004.
Sound Effects Used
- Hollywoodedge, Horses High Pitched W TE016303
- NEW DISNEY THUNDER 01 (Muffled and condensed.)
- SKYWALKER, SIZZLE - QUICK SIZZLE
- SKYWALKER, WATER - SINGLE SPLASH
- SKYWALKER, WIND - HEAVY WIND WHISTLING
- Sound Ideas, WIND - WIND PANS & FADES AT VARIOUS SPEEDS, WEATHER? (Muffled, used for the thunderstorm in the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come scene.)