The Matrix is a 1999 science fiction action film written and directed by the Wachowskis. It is the first installment in The Matrix film series, starring Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss, Hugo Weaving, and Joe Pantoliano. It depicts a dystopian future in which humanity is unknowingly trapped inside a simulated reality, the Matrix, which intelligent machines have created to distract humans while using their bodies as an energy source. When computer programmer Thomas Anderson, under the hacker alias "Neo", uncovers the truth, he "is drawn into a rebellion against the machines" along with other people who have been freed from the Matrix.
The Matrix is an example of the cyberpunk subgenre of science fiction. The Wachowskis' approach to action scenes was influenced by Japanese animation and martial arts films, and the film's use of fight choreographers and wire fu techniques from Hong Kong action cinema influenced subsequent Hollywood action film productions. The film popularized a visual effect known as "bullet time", in which the heightened perception of certain characters is represented by allowing the action within a shot to progress in slow-motion while the camera appears to move through the scene at normal speed, allowing the sped-up movements of certain characters to be perceived normally. While some critics have praised the film for its handling of difficult subjects, others have said the deeper themes are largely overshadowed by its action scenes.
The Matrix was first released in the United States on March 31, 1999, and grossed over $460 million worldwide. It received largely positive reviews from critics, who praised its innovative visual effects, action sequences, cinematography and entertainment value, and won four Academy Awards (Best Visual Effects, Best Film Editing, Best Sound and Best Sound Editing), as well as several other accolades, including BAFTA Awards and Saturn Awards. The film is considered to be among the best science fiction films of all time, and was added to the National Film Registry for preservation in 2012.
The film's success led to two feature film sequels being released in 2003, The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions, which were also written and directed by the Wachowskis. The Matrix franchise was further expanded through the production of comic books, video games and animated short films, with which the Wachowskis were heavily involved. The franchise has also inspired books and theories expanding on some of the religious and philosophical ideas alluded to in the films. A fourth film, titled The Matrix Resurrections, was released on December 22, 2021.
Neo (Keanu Reeves) believes that Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne), an elusive figure considered to be the most dangerous man alive, can answer his question -- What is the Matrix? Neo is contacted by Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss), a beautiful stranger who leads him into an underworld where he meets Morpheus. They fight a brutal battle for their lives against a cadre of viciously intelligent secret agents. It is a truth that could cost Neo something more precious than his life.
Sound Effects Used
- Disney - B.E.N. ELECTROCUTING
- Hollywoodedge, 357 Magnum Pistol Sho PE092801/Hollywoodedge, 22357 Magnum Fire Clo TE029501 (2nd and 3rd gunshots used.)
- Hollywoodedge, Body Falls Wooden Flo PE107401 (1st half is only used.)
- Hollywoodedge, Bottle Rocket 2 Picco PE098501 (Used for the electrical laser gun.)
- Hollywoodedge, Electrical Zaps Arcs PE200501
- Hollywoodedge, Explosion Large Shar PE097801/901
- Hollywoodedge, Kick Body Hit 1 SharpT PE101301
- Hollywoodedge, Police Wailer Siren PE080801/Hollywoodedge, Siren Police Wailer TE041801 (As ambiance)
- Hollywoodedge, Police Wailer Siren PE080901
- Hollywoodedge, Reverse Ricochet 3 St PE207701
- Hollywoodedge, Single Bullet Impact PE236401
- NEW WARNER BROS. GUNSHOT
- NEW WARNER BROS. THUNDER 05
- Pro Sound Effects, Mortar Explosions, Huge Crunchy Blast, Falling Debris, Tubular Launch, Firing at Tail
- SKYWALKER, CAR - TUCKER ARMORED CAR: PASS BY
- Slow Motion Machine Gun Sound
- Slow Motion Pistol Shot Sound
- Sound Ideas, CLOCK, ALARM - ELECTRONIC CLOCK ALARM BUZZING
- Sound Ideas, ELECTRICITY, SPARK - HIGH VOLTAGE SPARK, ELECTRICAL 01
- Sound Ideas, ELECTRICITY, SPARK - HIGH VOLTAGE SPARK, ELECTRICAL 02
- Sound Ideas, ELECTRICITY, SPARK - HIGH VOLTAGE SPARK, ELECTRICAL 03
- Sound Ideas, ELECTRICITY, SPARK - HIGH VOLTAGE SPARK, ELECTRICAL 05
- Sound Ideas, ELECTRICITY, SPARK - HIGH VOLTAGE SPARK, ELECTRICAL 08
- Sound Ideas, EXTERIOR SHOTS, AUTO WEAPONS - AK-47 03
- Sound Ideas, EXTERIOR SHOTS, AUTO WEAPONS - GALIL 01
- Sound Ideas, ROBOT, MOTOR - ROBOT SERVO MOTOR 03
- Sound Ideas, THUNDER - THUNDER CLAP AND RUMBLE, WEATHER 01
- Sound Ideas, THUNDER - THUNDER CRACK, RAIN IN B/G, WEATHER 01
- TECHNICOLOR TIRE POP 01
- UNIVERSAL MACHINE GUN 01
- WB CARTOON, YELL - PAINFUL YELL 05
NEW WARNER BROS. THUNDER 05 as heard in the film.