Producer Steven Spielberg had initially developed the film for TriStar Pictures with directors Mikael Salomon and Robert Rodriguez, before Campbell signed on in 1996. Salomon cast Sean Connery as Don Diego de la Vega, while Rodriguez brought Banderas in the lead role. Connery dropped out and was replaced with Hopkins, and The Mask of Zorro began filming in January 1997 at Estudios Churubusco in Mexico City, Mexico. The film was released in the United States on July 17, 1998 to critical and commercial success. The Legend of Zorro, a sequel also starring Banderas and Zeta-Jones and directed by Campbell, was released in 2005, but did not fare as well as its predecessor.
Sound Effects Used
- Hollywoodedge, Explosion Huge Clos SDT025501
- Hollywoodedge, Hawk Redtailed Scree AT082801
- Hollywoodedge, Medium Explosion With Fi PE280301
- Hollywoodedge, Pottery Drop Break PE112401
- Hollywoodedge, Wood Break Or Shatter PE113401