Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II is a 1997 first-person shooter video game developed and published by LucasArts for Microsoft Windows. It was later re-released on Steam in September 2009, and again in 2015 on GOG.com. It is the sequel to 1995's Star Wars: Dark Forces, and the second installment in the Star Wars: Jedi Knight series. The story, set in the fictional Star Wars expanded universe one year after the film Return of the Jedi, follows returning protagonist Kyle Katarn, a mercenary working for the New Republic, who discovers his connection to the Force and "The Valley of the Jedi", an ancient source of power. With his father having been murdered years prior by the Dark Jedi Jerec and his followers over the Valley's location, Katarn embarks on a quest to confront his father's killers and find the Valley before they do.
Jedi Knight makes some technical and gameplay improvements over its predecessor. It uses a more powerful game engine, the Sith engine, which supports 3D acceleration using Direct3D 5.0. The story features branching paths and cutscenes recorded with live actors as full motion videos. The game introduces the lightsaber and the Force as prominent gameplay elements in the series, as well as a multiplayer mode that allows players to compete over the internet or a local area network.
Upon release, Jedi Knight was met with largely positive reviews from critics, who found it to be an improvement over Dark Forces in every aspect. An expansion pack, Mysteries of the Sith, was released in 1998, and a sequel, Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, in 2002.
You play as Kyle Katarn, a mercenary whose skills progress into becoming a Jedi knight, to stop a team of dark Jedis from taking the valley of the Jedi's power.
- Star Wars: Dark Forces
- Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
- Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
- Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Sound Effects Used
- Hollywoodedge, Body Falls Wooden Flo PE107401
- Hollywoodedge, Load Cock M14 Rifle Gu PE091201 (cocking element used)
- SKYWALKER, HUMAN - YELL, LONG, MALE 03
- SKYWALKER LIGHTSABER SOUND
- SKYWALKER, METAL - SHORT, HEAVY METALLIC GROAN 05 (The low-pitched variant is heard once in the LucasArts logo.)
- SKYWALKER, MOTOR - DUM-E STEADY
- SKYWALKER, SCI-FI GUN - TIE FIGHTER GUN (hissing part only)