Star Wars Battlefront II is an action shooter video game based on the Star Wars franchise. It is the fourth main installment of the Star Wars: Battlefront series, and a sequel to the 2015 reboot of the series. It was developed by DICE, in collaboration with Criterion Games and Motive Studios, and published by Electronic Arts. The game was released worldwide on November 17, 2017, for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Microsoft Windows. The game features both single-player and multiplayer modes, and overall includes more content than its predecessor. The single-player campaign of the game is set between the films Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens, and follows an original character, Iden Versio, the commander of an Imperial special ops squad, who defects to the New Republic after becoming disillusioned with the Galactic Empire's tactics. Most of the story takes place during the final year of the Galactic Civil War, before the Empire's definitive defeat at the Battle of Jakku.
Upon release, Battlefront II received mixed reviews from critics, with praise for the multiplayer, gameplay, balancing, visuals, and variety, but criticism for its single-player modes, campaign, microtransactions and progression system. The game was also subject to widespread criticism regarding the status of its loot boxes, which could give players substantial gameplay advantages if purchased with real money. A response from EA's community team on Reddit on the topic became the single most down-voted comment in the site's history, amassing over 600 thousand down-votes. In response, EA decided to remove microtransactions from the game.
Since its release, the game received numerous content additions through free title updates in an attempt to repair its reputation after launch, which brought in a large number of new players. These updates ended on April 29, 2020, after Electronic Arts concluded that the game had reached its desired number of players and had substantially improved since the initial release. A Celebration Edition of the game, which includes all in-game cosmetic options, was released on December 5, 2019.
Forge a new path as Iden Versio, commander of Inferno Squad, an Imperial special forces unit equally lethal on the ground and in space. Encounter many of Star Wars greatest characters in a story of revenge, betrayal, and redemption that spans thirty years.
Sound Effects Used
- Darth Vader's Breathing Sound
- SKYWALKER BODYFALL SOUNDS
- SKYWALKER, BULLET - CANNON BLAST AND CANNONBALL WHOOSH, GUN (blast part only)
- SKYWALKER, BULLET - HOTH BLASTER RICOCHET
- SKYWALKER, BULLET - RAPID, LASER-LIKE RICOCHETS
- SKYWALKER BULLET RICOCHET 01
- SKYWALKER, BULLET - RICOCHET WHIZZING BY 01
- SKYWALKER, BULLET - SMALL DOUBLE RICOCHET
- SKYWALKER, BULLET - SPARK-LIKE RICOCHET
- SKYWALKER EXPLOSION 01
- SKYWALKER, EXPLOSION - SEISMIC CHARGE EXPLOSION
- SKYWALKER, ELECTRICITY - BIG VARIOUS SPARKINGS
- SKYWALKER LIGHTSABER SOUND
- SKYWALKER PUNCHING SOUNDS
- SKYWALKER, SCI-FI GUN - CHEWIE'S BOWCASTER GUN
- SKYWALKER, SCI-FI GUN - TIE FIGHTER GUN
- SKYWALKER, SCI-FI GUN - X-WING FIGHTER GUN
- Sound Ideas, ELECTRICITY, SPARK - HIGH VOLTAGE SPARK, ELECTRICAL 03
- Sound Ideas, EXPLOSION - LARGE EXPLOSION 02 (Series 6000)
- Wilhelm Scream