Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter is a 1997 space simulation video game developed by Totally Games for LucasArts. It is the third installment of the X-Wing series.
Featuring several technical advancements over the original releases of its predecessors, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter runs on Windows, requires a joystick, features a CD audio soundtrack, supports high-resolution graphics, and brings texture mapping to the ship models of the in-flight game engine. It includes robust multiplayer options for up to eight players in free-for-all, team-based, and cooperative play modes, and has a sophisticated pilot and mission selection system that tracks the player's points and awards. In addition to selecting what craft they will fly, the player can choose their squadron (and thus role in combat) for each mission.
It is the only part of the series designed for multiplayer and/or personal practice only, lacking a storyline. LucasArts later released an expansion called Balance of Power which added a storyline.
Sound Effects Used
- Hollywoodedge, Crash Metal Shatter PE110301
- Hollywoodedge, Explosion Large Shar PE097801/901
- SKYWALKER EXPLOSION 02
- SKYWALKER EXPLOSION 05
- SKYWALKER EXPLOSION 07
- SKYWALKER, EXPLOSION - CRACKLING EXPLOSION, MEDIUM 01
- SKYWALKER, MOTOR - DUM-E STEADY (Heard in reverse; dubbed as "CHAFFIR.wav")
- SKYWALKER ROARING HORSE WHINNY (Used for TIE Fighters exploding)
- SKYWALKER, SCI FI GUN - AT-AT GUN
- SKYWALKER, SCI-FI GUN - TIE FIGHTER GUN
- SKYWALKER, SCI-FI GUN - X-WING FIGHTER GUN
- SKYWALKER, WHOOSH - SYNTHESIZED JET FLY BY
- Sound Ideas, ELECTRICITY, SPARK - HIGH VOLTAGE SPARK, ELECTRICAL 01
- Sound Ideas, ELECTRICITY, SPARK - HIGH VOLTAGE SPARK, ELECTRICAL 02
- Sound Ideas, ELECTRONIC - MAGICAL SWISH 03
- Sound Ideas, ELECTRONIC - MAGICAL ZAP 03
- Sound Ideas, EXPLOSION - LARGE EXPLOSION 06/07/08
- Sound Ideas, FIRE, BALL - IMPACT AND LARGE FIRE BURST, RUMBLE