Star Wars: TIE Fighter is a 1994 Star Wars space flight simulator and space combat video game, a sequel in the Star Wars: X-Wing series. It places the player in the role of an Imperial starfighter pilot during events that occur between The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.
The game was produced by Lawrence Holland and Edward Kilham's Totally Games studio. Based on X-Wing's game engine, TIE Fighter supports Gouraud shading and adds gameplay features and craft not available in X-Wing. TIE Fighter was updated and re-released several times, and it was a critical success. It is considered by some critics to be among the greatest video games of all time.
You are a member of the Imperial Navy, eager to fight the Rebel Alliance and other scum to strengthen the rule of Darth Vader and the Emperor.
The follow up to X-Wing is a space combat simulation set in the Star Wars universe. There are 7 campaigns, taking in over 50 missions. You often have wingmen who can be given orders to help you out. The detailed storyline is driven by cutscenes. You will fly a variety of craft from the lowly Tie Fighter to the speedy Tie Interceptor to the high-powered Tie Advanced. On each of these, balancing engine/laser/shield ratios in real time is crucial to getting the most power and safety.
Sound Effects Used
- Hollywoodedge, Crash Metal Shatter PE110301
- Hollywoodedge, Elevator Servo Motor PE202201
- Hollywoodedge, Explosion Large Shar PE097801/901
- SKYWALKER, MOTOR - DUM-E STEADY
- SKYWALKER, SCI-FI GUN - ION CANNON GUN
- SKYWALKER, SCI-FI GUN - TIE FIGHTER GUN
- SKYWALKER, SCI-FI GUN - X-WING FIGHTER GUN
- SKYWALKER, SPACECRAFT - TIE FIGHTER ROAR BY 01
- SKYWALKER, WHOOSH - SCREAM-LIKE PASS BY
- SKYWALKER, WHOOSH - SINGLE WHOOSH
- SKYWALKER, WHOOSH - SYNTHESIZED JET FLY BY
- Sound Ideas, EXPLOSION - SMALL BLAST 02 (Universal Studios)
- Sound Ideas, ROCKS, EARTHQUAKE - RUMBLE, CREAKS, CRASHES, TUMBLING, AVALANCHE