Star Wars: Rebel Assault II: The Hidden Empire is a 1995 video game developed by LucasArts. It is the sequel to Star Wars: Rebel Assault, set in the Star Wars expanded universe.
The player character, Rookie One, commands ships like a YT-1300 Corellian Transport, a B-wing, and a Y-wing, and encounters new opponents, including TIE Interceptors. The fly videos seem to move and rotate according to controller inputs, creating the illusion of steering the ship (which in reality is following a 'rail' in a pre-rendered course).
It contains mostly original filming with actors and stunts, while the scenery and the space scenes were 3D rendered. According to LucasArts' magazine, The Adventurer, the game was the first media to incorporate live-action actors and footage in the Star Wars universe since Return of the Jedi. The game makes use of the INSANE game engine.
Skywalker Sound probably provided Sound Design services and Ben Burtt was the Original Sound Designer, who were both left uncredited. Larry the O was the Sound Designer.
When a Rebel patrol goes missing in the Dreighton Nebula, Rebel pilot Rookie One heads out to investigate and discovers a large Imperial presence in the area. With the help of his fellow Rebels, Rookie One uncovers a plan by Darth Vader to destroy the Alliance by developing an army of "cloaked" Phantom TIE Fighters.
Sound Effects Used
- Darth Vader's Breathing Sound
- Hollywoodedge, Explosion Large Shar PE097801/901
- Hollywoodedge, Screams 3 Man Gutwren PE134401
- SKYWALKER, AIRPLANE - INERTIA STARTER-LIKE WHINE UP (debut)
- SKYWALKER, ALARM - IMPERIAL SIREN
- SKYWALKER, BULLET - DESCENDING DOUBLE RICOCHET WHIZZING (Heard at the end of Chapter 10: Speeder Bikes.)
- SKYWALKER, CAR - LIGHTNING MCQUEEN DRIVING AT FAST SPEED
- SKYWALKER, SCI-FI GUN - TIE FIGHTER GUN
- SKYWALKER, SCI-FI GUN - X-WING FIGHTER GUN
- SKYWALKER, SPACECRAFT - SPACECRAFT PASS BY 01
- SKYWALKER, SPACECRAFT - TIE FIGHTER ROAR BY 01
- SKYWALKER, STRETCH - MR. D.N.A. STRETCHING AND SNAP
- SKYWALKER, WHISTLE - QUICK SIREN WHISTLE WHIP (Heard in a time-stretched/high-pitched variant during the Wile E. Coyote easter egg in Chapter 11: Aboard The Terror.)
- SKYWALKER, WHOOSH - SCREAM-LIKE PASS BY
- Space Lightning 01 (Heard in Chapter 9: The Mine Field and Chapter 13: Escaping the Star Destroyer.)
- Sound Ideas, CARTOON, AIRPLANE - PROP PLANE POWER DIVE SCREAM (Heard in the PSX version for the TIE Phantoms.)
- Sound Ideas, ELECTRIC TOOL - CUTOFF SAW, START, CUTTING, NICE LONG WIND DOWN, CONSTRUCTION (Heard once in a cutscene.)
- Sound Ideas, SPACE, COMPUTER - SPACE SHIP CONSOLE: BEEP, ELECTRONIC, SCI FI 02
- Wilhelm Scream