The film is primarily centered on themes of censorship and bad parenting; it also serves as a parody and satire of the animated films of the Disney Renaissance, musicals such as Les Misérables, and the controversy surrounding the show itself. The film also heavily lampoons the Motion Picture Association of America; Parker and Stone battled the MPAA throughout the production process and the film received an R rating just two weeks prior to its release. A writing team consisting of Parker, Stone, and Pam Brady was assembled. They conceived numerous plot ideas, with Parker and Stone's being the one developed into a film. The film features twelve original songs by Parker and Marc Shaiman, with additional lyrics by Stone. The film was produced by Comedy Central Films, Scott Rudin Productions and Braniff Productions.
South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut was released theatrically in the United States on June 30, 1999 by Paramount Pictures, with Warner Bros. Pictures handling international distribution. The film received positive reviews from critics, with praise for its writing, soundtrack and themes, but criticizing the overuse of swear words for humor. Produced on a $21 million budget, it went on to gross $83.1 million worldwide, making it the highest-grossing R-rated animated film of all time until it was surpassed by Sausage Party in 2016. The song "Blame Canada" earned Parker and Shaiman a nomination for Academy Award for Best Original Song at the 72nd Academy Awards.
Stan, Kyle, Eric, and Kenny see the movie Terrence and Phillip: Asses of Fire. They become too interested in the movie that they begin using the same foul language that was used in the movie. This concerns all the adults in town and everyone else in America, putting the blame on the entire country of Canada because that's where Terrence and Phillip are from. Also, they put V-chips in their children so that they won't curse.
Sound Effects Used
- Hollywoodedge, Elephant Single Clas AT043701
- Hollywoodedge, Explosion Large Shar PE097801
- Hollywoodedge, Fart 5 ASqueaker Fart PE139301
- Hollywoodedge, M60 Automatic Multip PE233701
- Hollywoodedge, Quick Pistol Cock PE090501
- Hollywoodedge, School Bell Long Ring PE193201
- Hollywoodedge, Warning Buzzer Indus PE194401
- Hollywoodedge, Wood Door 3 Open SlamM PE180301
- JUMANJI LION ROAR
- Sound Ideas, BIRD, ROOSTER - ROOSTER MORNING CALL, ANIMAL 02
- Sound Ideas, EXPLOSION - INCREASING RUMBLE LEADING TO EXPLOSION
- Sound Ideas, SPACE, ZAP - LASER SHOT, ELECTRONIC
- Sound Ideas, TELEMETRY - COMPUTER TELEMETRY: FUNCTION BEEP, SCI FI, ELECTRONIC 16
- Sound Ideas, TELEMETRY - SHORT ELECTRONIC COMPUTER FUNCTION BEEP 01
- Sound Ideas, TELEMETRY - SHORT ELECTRONIC COMPUTER FUNCTION BEEP 24
- Tarzan Yell
- Wilhelm Scream