Rio is a 2011 American 3D computer-animated musical adventure-comedy film produced by Blue Sky Studios and directed by Carlos Saldanha. The title refers to the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro, where the film is set. The film features the voices of Jesse Eisenberg, Anne Hathaway, Leslie Mann, Rodrigo Santoro, Jemaine Clement, George Lopez, Tracy Morgan and Jamie Foxx. It tells the story of Blu (Eisenberg), a domesticated male Spix's macaw who is taken to Rio de Janeiro to mate with a free-spirited female Spix's macaw, Jewel (Hathaway). The two eventually fall in love, and together they have to escape from being smuggled by Nigel (Clement), a cockatoo. The theme song, "Telling the World," was performed by Taio Cruz.
Saldanha developed his first story concept of Rio in 1995, in which a penguin is washed up in Rio. Saldanha learned of the production of the films Happy Feet and Surf's Up, and changed the concept to involve macaws and their environments in Rio. He proposed his idea to Chris Wedge in 2006, and the project was set up at Blue Sky. The main voice actors were approached in 2009. During production, the crew visited Rio de Janeiro and also consulted with an expert on macaws at the Bronx Zoo to study their movements.
Rio premiered on March 22, 2011 in Lagoa, Rio de Janeiro, followed by its general release on April 15, 2011 by 20th Century Fox. The film received moderately positive reviews from film critics, who praised the visuals, voice acting and music. The film was also a box office success, grossing over $143 million in the United States and $484 million worldwide. The film was nominated for an Oscar for Best Original Song for the song "Real in Rio", but lost to the other nominee, "Man or Muppet" from The Muppets. A sequel, Rio 2, was released on April 11, 2014.
Skywalker Sound provided Post Production Sound Services: Randy Thom is the Supervising Sound Designer (and uncredited Supervising Sound Editor); Gwendolyn Yates Whittle is a Supervising Sound Editor; Josh Gold, Pete Horner, Teresa Eckton, and Malcolm Fife are Sound Effects Editors; Dennie Thorpe & Jana Vance are the foley artists; Sue Fox (Supervising) & Luke Dunn-Gielmuda are the Foley Editors; Corey Tyler (uncredited) and Sean England are the Foley Recordists; Leff Lefferts is a Supervising Assistant/uncredited Assistant Sound Designer; Brad Semenoff is a Supervising Assistant/uncredited First Assistant Sound Editor; Nia Hansen (uncredited), Jonathan Borland and Miriam Biderman are Sound Effects Recordists, and Steve Orlando was an Apprentice [Sound] Editor.
Sound Effects Used
- Hollywoodedge, Bird Parrot VariousS PE021301
- Hollywoodedge, Car Alarm Series Car A TE012502
- Hollywoodedge, Cats Fighting Loud Sc PE917007/Hollywoodedge, Cats Two Angry YowlsD PE022601 (2nd, 5th & 6th yowls heard during the scene when Jewel is running through the city chained to Blu.)
- Hollywoodedge, Chickens Clucks Farm AT084301
- Hollywoodedge, Goose Honks Geese Hon AT085801 (1st honk heard twice in a normal pitch and once in a low pitch.)
- Hollywoodedge, Parrot Squawks Inter TE013301
- Hollywoodedge, Punch Body Hit 1 Thud PE100801
- Hollywoodedge, Single Frog Croak Cl CRT013001
- Hollywoodedge, Sky Rocket Loud High TE021701/CARTOON NETWORK CARTOON FALL SOUND? (Heard briefly sped-up or confused with a similar whistle as a fire extinguisher falls.)
- Hollywoodedge, Whistle Human Finger PE139801
- SKYWALKER ELECTRICITY SPARKING SOUND
- SKYWALKER CAR SKIDDING SOUNDS
- SKYWALKER, CAR - TRUCK TIRES SQUEALING (Used for a parade float's tires.)
- SKYWALKER, CAR - TRUCK TIRES SQUEALING 03 (Used for a parade float's tires.)
- SKYWALKER, WATER - SINGLE SPLASH
- Sound Ideas, AIRPLANE, PROP - LONG DIVE 02 (1st half used improperly after Nigel is caught in an airplane's engine, when Tipa says "We're going down!")
- Sound Ideas, ANIMAL, MONKEY - VARIOUS SCREAMS, APE (Used for the marmosets.)
- Sound Ideas, BIRD, GOOSE - CANADA GOOSE: CALLS, GEESE, ANIMAL
- Sound Ideas, BIRD, ROOSTER - FARM ROOSTER: SINGLE CALL, ANIMAL 01 (Used as Tulio's ringtone.)
- Sound Ideas, BIRD, SILKY CHICKEN - RAPID CALLS, ANIMAL
- Sound Ideas, CARTOON, AIRPLANE - PROP PLANE POWER DIVE SCREAM
- Sound Ideas, CHILDREN - CHEERING, CROWD 01
- Sound Ideas, CROWD, REACTION - SMALL CROWD: INDOOR, SAYING 'OOHHH' AND WHISTLING (Heard during the song "I Wanna Party".)
- Sound Ideas, ELECTRICITY, SPARK - HIGH VOLTAGE SPARK, ELECTRICAL 12
- Sound Ideas, HIT, CARTOON - HEAVY TIMP RISE (Accents the moment of "off-color humor" in the beach scene.)
- Sound Ideas, INDUSTRY, HYDRAULIC - ELECTRIC HYDRAULIC MACHINE: UP FULL, FACTORY/Sound Ideas, INDUSTRY, HYDRAULIC - ELECTRIC HYDRAULIC MACHINE BEING RAISED
- Sound Ideas, SQUIRREL - CHATTERING, ANIMAL, RODENT (H-B)