Radioland Murders is a 1994 American comedy mystery thriller film directed by Mel Smith and co-written and produced by George Lucas. Radioland Murders is set in the 1939 atmosphere of old-time radio and pays homage to the screwball comedy films of the 1930s. The film tells the story of writer Roger Henderson trying to settle relationship issues with his wife while dealing with a whodunit murder mystery in a radio station. The film stars an ensemble cast, including Brian Benben, Mary Stuart Masterson, Scott Michael Campbell, Michael Lerner and Ned Beatty. Radioland Murders also features numerous small roles and cameo appearances, including Michael McKean, Bobcat Goldthwait, Jeffrey Tambor, Christopher Lloyd, George Burns (in his final film appearance), Billy Barty and Rosemary Clooney.
George Lucas began development for the film in the 1970s, originally attached as director for Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz's script. Universal Pictures commenced pre-production and both Steve Martin and Cindy Williams had already been approached for the two leads before Radioland Murders languished in development hell for over 20 years. In 1993, Lucas told Universal that advances in computer-generated imagery from Industrial Light & Magic (owned by Lucasfilm), particularly in digital mattes, would help bring Radioland Murders in for a relatively low budget of about $10 million, which eventually rose to $15 million. Mel Smith was hired to direct and filming lasted from October to December 1993. Radioland Murders was released on October 21, 1994, to negative reviews from critics and bombed at the box office, only grossing $1.37 million in US totals.
Skywalker Sound provided post-production sound services: Tom Bellfort served as the Supervising Sound Editor and Matthew Wood as the Asst. Supervising Sound Editor (also an uncredited Supervising Sound Assistant). Ben Burtt was likely the uncredited sound designer.
Sound Effects Used
- Hollywoodedge, Bird Duck Quacks Clos PE020501
- Hollywoodedge, Impact Wcymbal Drum CRT032501
- Hollywoodedge, Slide Whistle In Out CRT057602
- Hollywoodedge, Slide Whistle In Out CRT057703
- SKYWALKER BIG METAL SQUEAKING 01
- SKYWALKER BULLET RICOCHET 02 (Heard once in a high pitch)
- SKYWALKER, CAR - BRAKES SQUEAL, LONG
- SKYWALKER, CAR - BRAKES SQUEAL, LONG 02
- SKYWALKER, CAR - VEHICLE HORN, 4 TIMES
- SKYWALKER, ELECTRICITY - BIG VARIOUS SPARKINGS
- SKYWALKER, METAL - BIG VEHICLE CRASH
- SKYWALKER, METAL - RESOUNDING CLANG 02
- SKYWALKER PISTOL SHOT
- SKYWALKER, WHISTLE - QUICK SIREN WHISTLE WHIP
- Sound Ideas, COMEDY, ACCENT - WHOOP WHISTLE: SHORT
- Sound Ideas, DOG - DISTANT BARK, NEAR & FAR DOGS BARK AT NIGHT, ANIMAL
- Sound Ideas, INSECT, CRICKET - SINGLE, ANIMAL
- Sound Ideas, RICOCHET - CARTOON RICCO 03 (heard once in combo of the sound in higher and lower pitches)
- Sound Ideas, RICOCHET - CARTOON RICCO 06