Postman Pat is a British stop-motion animated children's television series first produced by Woodland Animations.
It is aimed at pre-school children, in the fictional village of Greendale (inspired by the real valley of Longsleddale near Kendal) and the nearby town of Pencaster, on the border between Cumbria and North Yorkshire.
Each episode follows the adventures of Pat Clifton, a friendly country postman, and his "black and white cat" Jess, as he delivers the post through the valley of Greendale. Although he initially concentrates on delivering his letters, he nearly always becomes distracted by a concern of one of the villagers and is usually relied upon to resolve their problems. Notable villagers include the postmistress, Mrs Goggins; Alf Thompson, the farmer; and the local handyman and inventor, Ted Glen.
Greendale is a large, busy village situated in the heart of the Cumbrian countryside. Running through the centre of the village is the High Street, home to Mrs Goggins' Post Office and shop, an unofficial meeting house for the residents. Located on the edge of the village is the railway station, home to the Greendale Rocket. Nisha Bains runs a popular café there with Sara while her husband Ajay runs a regular schedule on the Greendale Rocket to the nearby town of Pencaster.
Pencaster is a large, bustling, modern town located within easy commuting distance for the villagers of Greendale. Situated on the waterfront, Pencaster is a hive of activity, boasting a market square in the centre surrounded by shops, houses, a large railway station, state-of-the-art buildings and a boat jetty. It bears some resemblance to Lancaster, the county town of Lancashire, which likewise is a short commute from Longsleddale, this village that was used as the inspiration for Greendale.
TV Show Intro
Sound Effects Used
- Hollywoodedge, Air Brake Hiss Truck PE079201 (Heard once in "Postman Pat and the Runaway Train.")
- Hollywoodedge, Baby Crying Slowly PE144001 (Heard often in "Postman Pat and the Green Rabbit.")
- Hollywoodedge, Baby Laughs GigglesS PE144701
- Hollywoodedge, Baby Laughs VariousS PE144601 (Heard often in "Postman Pat and the Green Rabbit.")
- Hollywoodedge, Baby Whines Cries Huf PE145601 (Heard often in "Postman Pat and the Green Rabbit.")
- HollywoodEdge (Europe Edition), Roland UK - Birds Chirping
- Hollywoodedge, Gooey Splat CRT052405 (Heard twice in "The Tremendous Tree.")
- Hollywoodedge, Highpitched Metal Sq PE188601 (Heard often in the second series, used often for the doors of Pat’s van and Ted’s lorry.)
- Hollywoodedge, Small Hinge Squeak Hv PE188401 (Heard three times in “Postman Pat Has too many Parcels” and throughout the Cosgrove Hall Films era.)
- HollywoodEdge (Europe Edition), Roland UK - Children Laughing (The Diddy Laugh)
- HollywoodEdge (Europe Edition), Roland UK - Rooster Crowing 1
- Hollywoodedge, Medium Exterior Crow PE140501
- Hollywoodedge, Metal Creaks Machine FS015801 (Heard only in season 3 every time the Greendale Flyer stops.)
- Hollywoodedge, Single Cow Moo CRT011601 (Heard several times in a high pitch in "Postman Pat and the Cranky Cows.")
- Hollywoodedge, Wood Crash Large PE113501
- Sound Ideas, AUTO, CRASH - CRASHES AND ROLLS DOWN EMBANKMENT (Heard once in "Pat Goes Sledging.")
- Sound Ideas, BIRD, BLUEBIRD - BLUEBIRD CHIRPS, ANIMAL
- Sound Ideas, Cartoon, Crashes: Comedy - Things falling and clanging - 1967 (7C, reprocessed) (Heard in "Pat Takes a Message" and "Postman Pat and the Suit of Armour".)
- Sound Ideas, Cartoon, Pianos: Comedy - Crash of piano - 1968 (7H, reprocessed) (Heard in "Pat Goes Sledging" and "Pat Takes a Message".)
- Sound Ideas, TRAIN, STEAM - WHISTLE, MANY BLASTS, CLOSE UP