Peep and the Big Wide World is an American-Canadian animated children's television series created by Canadian animator Kaj Pindal. It revolves around the lives of Peep, Chirp, and Quack, as viewers discover, investigate, and explore the world around them. It was based on the 1988 short film Peep and the Big Wide World (of the same name) produced by the National Film Board of Canada, which itself is based on the 1962 short film The Peep Show, also produced by the National Film Board of Canada. The series premiered on April 12, 2004, on Discovery Kids and on TLC as part of their Ready Set Learn children's block, and on the same day on TVOKids and PBS Kids. It was produced by WGBH Boston (through its kids division WGBH Kids) and 9 Story Media Group (formerly 9 Story Entertainment), in association with TVOntario and Discovery Kids and is distributed by Alliance Atlantis (through AAC Kids).
Carriage on the Discovery children's networks ended on October 10, 2010 with the discontinuation of Ready Set Learn and the replacement of Discovery Kids with The Hub, and now, Discovery Family. It continues to be offered to public television stations via independent public television distributor American Public Television to the present day. Since January 1, 2018, the series is distributed by both PBS Kids and APT. Throughout its run, it has been underwritten by the National Science Foundation, with Northrop Grumman underwriting season four in 2010.
Each episode consists of two 9-minute stories, which are animated segments, and two 2-minute live action segments, in which children explore and demonstrate the same topic presented in the animated segment.
Theme Song Intro
Sound Effects Used
- HollywoodEdge (Europe Edition), Roland UK - Umbrella/Parachute Opens and Poofs (Heard once in 4 episodes)
- Hollywoodedge, Bird Crow Caws CloseP PE020401 (Heard often in "Give Me a Call!".)
- Hollywoodedge, Fast Swish CRT053905
- Hollywoodedge, Forest Ambience Bird PE010101
- Hollywoodedge, Gusts Heavy Cold Wind PE031601 (Heard often in "Stormy Weather" and "The Windy Day.")
- Hollywoodedge, Owl Great Horned Hoot AT083001 (Heard once in "Birds of a Feather", "A Duck's Tale" and "The Windy Day".)
- Hollywoodedge, Raven Common Caws Rav AT080701 (Heard once in "Birds of a Feather".)
- Hollywoodedge, Rubber Balllike Bou CRT016802 (Heard once in "A Duck's Tale".)
- Hollywoodedge, Slide Whistle In Out CRT057601
- Hollywoodedge, Thin Metallic Pot Or CRT031202 (Heard once in "A Duck's Tale" and "Quack Loses His Hat".)
- Sound Ideas, BELL, BICYCLE - BICYCLE BELL: SINGLE RING (Heard once in "Peep Crosses the Road".)