Mrs. Doubtfire is a 1993 American comedy-drama film directed by Chris Columbus. It was written for the screen by Randi Mayem Singer and Leslie Dixon, based on the novel Alias Madame Doubtfire by Anne Fine. Robin Williams, who also served as a co-producer, stars with Sally Field, Pierce Brosnan, Harvey Fierstein, and Robert Prosky. It follows a recently divorced actor who dresses up as a female housekeeper to be able to interact with his children. The film addresses themes of divorce, separation, and the effect they have on a family.
The film was released in the United States on November 24, 1993. It won the Academy Award for Best Makeup and the Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy. Robin Williams was awarded the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy.
It grossed $441.3 million on a $25 million budget, becoming the second-highest-grossing film of 1993 worldwide. Though the film received mixed reviews, it was placed 67th in the American Film Institute's "AFI's 100 Years...100 Laughs" list and 40th on Bravo's "100 Funniest Movies of All Time." The original music score was composed by Howard Shore.
Sound Effects Used
- Hollywoodedge, Alarms High PitchedS TE012603 (used for a TV studio bell)
- Hollywoodedge, Bird Duck Quacks Clos PE020501
- Hollywoodedge, Chimpanzee Screeche PE026201
- Hollywoodedge, Funny Swish CRT053902 (Heard in the opening cartoon as the cat shows a cigarette)
- Hollywoodedge, Quick Whistle Zip By CRT057502
- Hollywoodedge, Quick Whistle Zip By CRT057505 (Heard in the opening cartoon as the cat jumps off a chair.)
- Hollywoodedge, School Bell Long Ring PE193201 (used for a work shift bell)
- Hollywoodedge, Wood Metal Squeak CRT053202
- SKYWALKER, CAR - VEHICLE HORN, 4 TIMES
- SKYWALKER, DOINK - MR. D.N.A. DOINKING
- SKYWALKER, SIZZLE - QUICK SIZZLE
- Sound Ideas, TELEPHONE, ELECTRONIC - OFFICE OR HOME ELECTRONIC PHONE: RING 1: SINGLE RING
- Sound Ideas, TELEPHONE, PAY - PICK UP RECEIVER
- Sound Ideas, ZIP, CARTOON - QUICK SLIDE WHISTLE ZIP UP