Moana (also known as Vaiana or Oceania in some markets) is a 2016 American 3D computer-animated musical adventure film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Pictures. The 56th Disney animated feature film, the film is directed by Ron Clements and John Musker, and co-directed by Don Hall and Chris Williams, the film introduces Auliʻi Cravalho as Moana and features the voices of Dwayne Johnson, Rachel House, Temuera Morrison, Jemaine Clement, Nicole Scherzinger, and Alan Tudyk. The film features original songs written by Lin-Manuel Miranda, Opetaia Foa'i and Mark Mancina, and an orchestral score also composed by Mancina.
The film tells the story of Moana, the strong-willed daughter of a chief of a Polynesian village, who is chosen by the ocean itself to reunite a mystical relic with the goddess Te Fiti. When a blight strikes her island, Moana sets sail in search of Maui, a legendary demigod, in the hope of returning the relic to Te Fiti and saving her people. The plot is original, but takes inspiration from Polynesian myths.
Moana was released theatrically in the United States on November 23, 2016, to positive reviews from critics, with particular praise going towards its animation, music, and vocal performances. The film went on to gross over $645 million worldwide. Along with Zootopia, it marked the first time since 2002 that Walt Disney Animation Studios released two feature films in the same year, since Lilo & Stitch and Treasure Planet. At the 89th Academy Awards, the film received two nominations for Best Animated Feature and Best Original Song ("How Far I'll Go").
An adventurous teenager sails out on a daring mission to save her people. During her journey, Moana meets the once-mighty demigod Maui, who guides her in her quest to become a master way-finder. Together they sail across the open ocean on an action-packed voyage, encountering enormous monsters and impossible odds. Along the way, Moana fulfills the ancient quest of her ancestors and discovers the one thing she always sought: her own identity.
Sound Effects Used
- Cartoon Network Cartoon Fall Sound/Hollywoodedge, Sky Rocket Loud High TE021701
- Hollywoodedge, Bird Hawk Single Scre PE020801
- Hollywoodedge, Bottle Rocket 2 Picco PE098501
- Hollywoodedge, Heavy Face Punch FS040301
- Hollywoodedge, Lightning 08 CloseG SIG012601
- SKYWALKER, ELECTRICITY - BIG VARIOUS SPARKINGS
- Sound Ideas, BLINK, CARTOON - XYLO EYE BLINKS (Heard once when Tamatoa blinks his eye during "Shiny".)
- Sound Ideas, CARTOON, AIRPLANE - PROP PLANE POWER DIVE SCREAM, TWO TIMES
- Sound Ideas, CARTOON, CHICKEN - LOUD SINGLE SQUAWK (Used thrice for Heihei; first heard once in a normal pitch, but slowed down, and then in two higher pitches.)
- Sound Ideas, CARTOON, WHISTLE - FALL WHISTLE, LONG
- Sound Ideas, Crying Small Child - Small, female child crying and screaming, "I don't want it" (Crying only, Heard in the very beginning.)
- Wilhelm Scream