Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games is a crossover sports/party video game for the Wii U. It is the fourth game in the Mario & Sonic series, the first to be released on the Wii U and is the official video game for the 2014 Winter Olympics that were held in Sochi. It was released on November 8, 2013 in Europe, November 9, 2013 in Australia, November 15, 2013 in North America, and December 5, 2013 in Japan.
It the first title in the series to feature an online multiplayer mode, and the first to be published by Nintendo globally, as previous titles were published by Sega outside Japan and unlike previous instalments, the game was released solely on home console, and does not have a portable version. The game formed the second part in Sega's exclusivity agreement with Nintendo after Sonic Lost World back on mid-October 2013 and followed by Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric and Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal on November/December 2014.
The game received mixed reviews from critics who praised the visuals, multiplayer, and addition of online play, but criticised its controls and lack of innovation from previous games in the series. A fifth game in the series, Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, was released for Wii U and 3DS in 2016.
EU: November 8, 2013
AU: November 9, 2013
NA: November 15, 2013
JP: December 5, 2013
- Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
- Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
- Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
- Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
Sound Effects Used
- Hollywoodedge, Elevator Servo Motor PE202201
- King Boo Laugh
- SMB Coin Sound
- SMB Warp Pipe/Power Down Sound
- Sonic Ring
- Sound Ideas, APPLAUSE, CHEERING - LARGE CROWD: OUTDOOR, CHEERS & WHISTLING, BASEBALL, STADIUM 02
- Sound Ideas, TRAIN, STEAM - WHISTLE, DISTANT, LONG BLAST 02
- Yoshi Vocal Sounds