Lorelei: The Witch of the Pacific Ocean, known in Japan as simply Lorelei (ローレライ Rōrerai) is a 2005 Japanese war drama film directed by Shinji Higuchi. A fictional story of the Japanese military saving Tokyo from the third atomic bomb during the waning days of the Second World War, it was the highest-grossing film in Japan during the week of its release.
The story of "Lorelei", based on a best-selling novel written by Harutoshi Fukui, is a departure from the last 50 years of Japanese cinema by weaving a tale using a "what if" fictional narrative with a tip of the hat to modern manga storylines and styles.
Tom Myers did sound design at Skywalker Sound and Frank Eulner served as the supervising sound editor.
A drama set during World War II where a submarine carrying a secret weapon attempts to stop a planned third atomic bombing of Japan. Based on Harutoshi Fukui's novel Shuusen no Lorelei.
Sound Effects Used
- EA SYNTH WHOOSH
- Hollywoodedge, Elephant Single Clas AT043701 (Used once to accent US torpedoes about to streak by; modified)
- Hollywoodedge, Machine Gun Silence PE1010701 (13th ricochet heard once in a high pitch)
- JERRY SCREAM
- Roger Rabbit Ahooga Sound (lower-pitched)
- SKYWALKER ALARM BUZZING SOUND
- SKYWALKER, ALARM - KLAXON "AHOOGA"
- SKYWALKER, BULLET - CANNON BLAST AND CANNONBALL WHOOSH, GUN (debut)
- SKYWALKER EXPLOSION 01
- SKYWALKER EXPLOSION 02
- SKYWALKER EXPLOSION 10 / SKYWALKER FIRE ROARING SOUND (Heard once in reverse before US grenades are launched)
- SKYWALKER, EXPLOSION - BIG CRUNCH
- SKYWALKER, EXPLOSION - CRASHED METAL SQUEAKING ACCENT
- SKYWALKER, EXPLOSION - MASSIVE EXPLOSION, LOUD, HYPER-REALISTIC (Heard when the US bpmber plane explodes)
- SKYWALKER, EXPLOSION - MASSIVE INFERNO ROARING (A modified version is used twice when the atomic bomb explodes)
- SKYWALKER, EXPLOSION - THERMAL DETONATOR: CHARGE 02
- SKYWALKER GLASS, SMASH - LARGE WINDOW CRASH
- SKYWALKER GRENADE LAUNCHING SOUND
- SKYWALKER, HORROR - SAURON'S EYE, FIRE, CHOIR-LIKE
- SKYWALKER, METAL - BIG CLANK WITH SQUEAL (heard once, played in 2 different pitches and low volume)
- SKYWALKER, METAL - HUMAN BODY IMPACT ON METAL
- SKYWALKER, METAL - LEVER PULL
- SKYWALKER, METAL - LID CLANGING 01
- SKYWALKER, METAL - SHORT, HEAVY METALLIC GROAN 03
- SKYWALKER, ROAR - EBORSISK ROAR (used for one of the torpedoes)
- SKYWALKER, ROAR - STARRO SCREAM
- SKYWALKER, SIREN - AIR RAID SIREN (Heard twice in a high pitch)
- SKYWALKER, WATER - SINGLE SPLASH
- SKYWALKER, WHISTLE - DESCENDING WHINE WITH FLANGE
- SKYWALKER, WHOOSH - ARTILLERY FALL 01 (Heard in higher pitches)
- SKYWALKER, WHOOSH - ARTILLERY FALL 02
- SKYWALKER, WHOOSH - REDWING PASS BY
- Sound Ideas, CARTOON, AIRPLANE - PROP PLANE POWER DIVE SCREAM (May've been used just before one of the US bomber's engine explodes, breaking a wing off; barely audible)
- Sound Ideas, WEATHER, LIGHTNING - BOLT OF LIGHTNING STRIKES CLOSE BY, THUNDER 10 (processed)
- Sound Ideas, WIND - HOWLING AND WHISTLING, WEATHER