Live and Let Die is a 1973 spy film and the eighth film in the James Bond series produced by Eon Productions and the first to star Roger Moore as the fictional MI6 agent James Bond. It was directed by Guy Hamilton and produced by Albert R. Broccoli and Harry Saltzman. Although the producers had wanted Sean Connery to return after his role in the previous Bond film Diamonds Are Forever, he declined, sparking a search for a new actor to play Bond; Moore was signed for the lead role.
The film is based on Ian Fleming's 1954 novel of the same name. The storyline involves a Harlem drug lord known as Mr. Big who plans to distribute two tons of heroin for free to put rival drug barons out of business and then become a monopoly supplier. Mr. Big is revealed to be the alter ego of Dr. Kananga, a corrupt Caribbean dictator, who rules San Monique, a fictional island where opium poppies are secretly farmed. Bond is investigating the deaths of three British agents, leading him to Kananga, and he is soon trapped in a world of gangsters and voodoo as he fights to put a stop to the drug baron's scheme.
Live and Let Die was released during the height of the blaxploitation era, and many blaxploitation archetypes and clichés are depicted in the film, including derogatory racial epithets ("honky"), black gangsters, and pimpmobiles. It departs from the former plots of the James Bond films about megalomaniac super-villains, and instead focuses on drug trafficking, a common theme of blaxploitation films of the period. It is set in African-American cultural centres such as Harlem and New Orleans, as well as the Caribbean Islands. It was also the first James Bond film featuring an African-American Bond girl romantically involved with 007, Rosie Carver, who was played by Gloria Hendry. The film was a box office success and received generally positive reviews from critics. It was also nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Song for "Live and Let Die", written by Paul and Linda McCartney and performed by their band Wings.
Sound Effects Used
- Benny the Cab Revving
- Benny the Cab Skidding
- CINESOUND - EXPLOSION TYPE 1
- CINESOUND - EXPLOSION TYPE 2/SoundDogs, Explosions Fires - Explosion; Big Cannon Shot Explodes-Distortes. Nsg
- CINESOUND - EXPLOSION TYPE 16
- CINESOUND GUNSHOT 01
- Disney - FLOUNDER SCREAM
- MGM CRASH, CARTOON - SHARP BASS, DRUM AND CYMBAL CRASH, MUSIC, PERCUSSION 02
- Sound Ideas, CARTOON, TELEPHONE - PICK UP RECEIVER
- Sound Ideas, CARTOON, TWANG - WOODEN TWANG (Heard briefly.)
- Sound Ideas, DROP, GOLF - GOLF BALL DROP INTO CUP 02
- Sound Ideas, SCI FI - ROSEY'S ROBOT MOTOR
- Disney - CRI-KEE CHIRPING
- Hollywoodedge, Crash Metal Shatter PE110201
- Hollywoodedge, Medium Explosion With Fi PE280301
- Unknown Sound Effects Library, Metal Creaking