I Am Legend is a 2007 American post-apocalyptic action thriller film based on the 1954 novel of the same name by Richard Matheson. Directed by Francis Lawrence, the film stars Will Smith as US Army virologist Robert Neville. The story is set in New York City after a virus, which was originally created to cure cancer, has wiped out most of mankind, leaving Neville as the last human in New York, other than nocturnal mutants. Neville is immune to the virus and he works to develop a cure while defending himself against the hostile mutants.
Warner Bros. began developing I Am Legend in 1994, and various actors and directors were attached to the project, though production was delayed due to budgetary concerns related to the script. Production began in 2006 in New York City, filming mainly on location in the city, including a $5 million scene at the Brooklyn Bridge. It is the third feature-film adaptation of Richard Matheson's 1954 novel I Am Legend, following 1964's The Last Man on Earth (1964) and 1971's The Omega Man (1971).
I Am Legend was released on December 14, 2007, in the United States and Canada, and opened to the largest ever box office (not adjusted for inflation) for a non-Christmas film released in the U.S. in December, and was the seventh-highest grossing film of 2007, earning $256 million domestically and $329 million internationally, for a total of $585 million. The film received mostly favorable reviews, with Smith's performance being singled out for praise; criticism focused on its divergences from the novel, particularly the ending.
Robert Neville (Will Smith), a brilliant scientist, is a survivor of a man-made plague that transforms humans into bloodthirsty mutants. He wanders alone through New York City, calling out for other possible survivors, and works on finding a cure for the plague using his own immune blood. Neville knows he is badly outnumbered and the odds are against him, and all the while, the infected wait for him to make a mistake that will deliver Neville into their hands.
Sound Effects Used
- Hollywoodedge, Bullet Ricochet OffD PE096901 (Heard in a low volume.)
- Hollywoodedge, Bullet Ricochet OffM PE096501 (Heard in a low volume.)
- Hollywoodedge, Bull Whip Crack 1 Swis PE108701 (Swish only.)
- Hollywoodedge, Explosion Glass Deb EXP024801
- Hollywoodedge, Explosion Metal Deb EXP025301
- Hollywoodedge, Explosion No Debris EXP020901
- Hollywoodedge, Large Explosion With Lon PE280201
- Hollywoodedge, Medium Explosion Med PE280401
- SKYWALKER, WHOOSH - ARTILLERY FALL 01
- Sound Ideas, HOSPITAL - HEART MONITOR: HEART FAILURE, CONSTANT TONE
- Sound Ideas, HOSPITAL - HEART MONITOR: MONITORING, CONSTANT BEEPS