- First recorded: 1945
- Creator: Jimmy MacDonald
- Owner: The Walt Disney Company (1945-1992), Walter Lantz Productions (Mid 1950s-1972), The Hollywood Edge (1992-2014), Sound Ideas (2014-present)
- Origin: United States
- Year debut: December 21, 1945
- First heard: Old Sequoia (a Donald Duck cartoon)
- Area used: Worldwide
Back in 1945, Jimmy MacDonald created this sound for the Disney sound effects library, but it is unknown how its made. According to what we already know, he may have used muted brass instruments, turning wheels with small objects all over them, squeaky wheelbarrows, music tubes, and horns.
Sometime in the 1950s, Walter Lantz Productions acquired this sound effect, and used it as one of their trademark machine/engine effects until the studio shut down in 1972.
Sound Effect Description
Funny Engine Steady with Rapid Mechanical Chugs, Hollow 'thonks' & Light Metal Squeaks.
Clean, Unedited and Full Link To The Sound Effect
- Cat And Mouse Funny Adventures
- Dragon Tales
- Harvey Girls Forever!
- Jim Henson's The Hoobs
- My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (Heard in "Griffon the Brush-Off".)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- The Woody Woodpecker Show
- Disney Cartoons (Heard in "Old Sequoia".) (Debut)
- Walter Lantz Cartoons (Shorts)
- Woody Woodpecker Cartoons (Shorts)
- Thinkin' Things Collection 1 (1993) (heard in "Feathered Friends" activity)