Falling Down is a 1993 American action film directed by Joel Schumacher, written by Ebbe Roe Smith and released by Warner Bros. in the United States on February 26, 1993. The film stars Michael Douglas in the lead role of William "D-Fens" Foster, a divorced and unemployed former defense engineer. The film centers on Foster as he treks on foot across the city of Los Angeles, trying to reach the house of his estranged ex-wife in time for his daughter's birthday. Along the way, a series of encounters, both trivial and provocative, causes him to react with increasing violence and make sardonic observations on life, poverty, the economy, and commercialism. Robert Duvall co-stars as Martin Prendergast, an aging Los Angeles Police Department sergeant on the day of his retirement, who faces his own frustrations even as he tracks down Foster.
It is a sweltering summer day in Los Angeles and a man (known only by his car registration: D-Fens) is stuck in his car in an early-morning traffic jam. It is his daughter's birthday and his only aim is to see her on her special day. Abandoning his car in the traffic he sets out to get to the house of his ex-wife to see his daughter. Along the way he meets all manner of obstacles, causing his pent-up frustration at the hindrances and absurdities of life and cynicism and criminality of average people to boil over. What follows is a peaceful man's violent odyssey, an odyssey to see his daughter.
Sound Effects Used
- Hollywoodedge, Crash Metal Shatter PE110501
- Hollywoodedge, Crash Train Car Mix PE111601
- Hollywoodedge, Doppler Car Horn By Ap PE077401/Hollywoodedge, Doppler Horn By HighP CT053001
- Hollywoodedge, Telephone Rings Soft PE170201
- SKYWALKER, INVENTOR - FLIK'S INVENTION; RUN; STOP
- SKYWALKER, JET - ARTOO'S ROCKET THRUSTERS
- Sound Ideas, EXPLOSION - ENERGY BLAST, ELECTRONIC
- Sound Ideas, GUN, HAND GUN - COLT 45 FRONTIER: SINGLE SHOT
- Sound Ideas, HELICOPTER - BELL 212: EXTERIOR, PASS BY, DISTANT
- WB GUN, SHOT - PISTOL SHOT 01