Eragon is a 2006 British-American action-fantasy film directed by Stefen Fangmeier (in his directorial debut) and written by Peter Buchman, based on Christopher Paolini’s 2002 novel of the same name. The film stars Ed Speleers in the title role as well as Jeremy Irons, Sienna Guillory, Robert Carlyle, Djimon Hounsou, Garrett Hedlund, Joss Stone and John Malkovich, with Rachel Weisz as the voice of Saphira the dragon.
Principal photography took place at the Mafilm Fót Studios in Hungary, starting on August 1, 2005. Visual effects and animation were by Weta Digital and Industrial Light & Magic. Eragon was released worldwide between December 13, 2006 and December 15, 2006 by 20th Century Fox. It was the 10th worst reviewed film of 2006 on Rotten Tomatoes, but the 31st highest-grossing film of 2006 in the US. The film was released for home entertainment on March 20, 2007. It is notable for being the last film to be released on VHS in the United States. Originally, Eragon was supposed to be the first in a franchise based on Paolini's Inheritance Cycle book series with Fangmeirer shooting both Eldest and Brisingr back-to-back. However, due to negative reception from critics and book fans, the planned franchise was cancelled.
Sound Effects Used
- SKYWALKER, METAL - SHORT, HOLLOW METAL CRASH (Heard many times, muffled, when an army is trying to pound through a gate.)
- SKYWALKER, WATER - SINGLE SPLASH
- SKYWALKER, WHOOSH - ARTILLERY FALL 01 (Heard once in reverse and a very high pitch.)
- SKYWALKER, WIND - ASAJJ'S HOME, HOWLING, COLD GUSTS, WEATHER
- Sound Ideas, BIRD, ROOSTER - MORNING CALL, ANIMAL 01 (Heard once in low volume.)
- Sound Ideas, FIRE, BALL - IMPACT AND LARGE FIRE BURST, RUMBLE