Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, more commonly known simply as Dr. Strangelove, is a 1964 black comedy film that satirizes the Cold War fears of a nuclear conflict between the Soviet Union and the United States. The film was directed, produced, and co-written by Stanley Kubrick and stars Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, Sterling Hayden, and Slim Pickens. Production took place in the United Kingdom. The film is loosely based on Peter George's thriller novel Red Alert (1958).
The story concerns an unhinged United States Air Force general who orders a first strike nuclear attack on the Soviet Union. It separately follows the President of the United States, his advisors, the Joint Chiefs of Staff and a Royal Air Force (RAF) exchange officer as they attempt to prevent the crew of a B-52 plane (who were ordered by the general) from bombing the Soviets and starting a nuclear war.
The film is often considered one of the best comedies ever made, as well as one of the greatest films of all time. In 1998, the American Film Institute ranked it twenty-sixth in its list of the best American movies (in the 2007 edition, the film ranked thirty-ninth), and in 2000, it was listed as number three on its list of the funniest American films. In 1989, the United States Library of Congress included Dr. Strangelove as one of the first twenty-five films selected for preservation in the National Film Registry for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".
An insane general triggers a path to nuclear holocaust that a War Room full of politicians and generals frantically tries to stop.
Sound Effects Used
- Candy Caramella Scream
- CINESOUND - EXPLOSION TYPE 11
- Crow T. Robot Scream
- Columbia Pictures Nuclear Bomb Explosion (debut)
- DePatie-Freleng Blowing Sound
- Roger Rabbit Ahooga Sound
- Sound Ideas, Combat Distant Explosions - Various explosions and reverberations in the distance
- Sound Ideas, GUN, RICOCHET - MACHINE GUN BULLET RICOCHETS OF CONCRETE
- Sound Ideas, GUN, RICOCHET - MACHINE GUN RICOCHETS, BULLET 01
- Sound Ideas, SCI FI - HERCULOIDS: GLEEP WALKING FOOTSTEPS
- Sound Ideas, SCI FI - ROSEY'S ROBOT MOTOR
- Sound Ideas, WIND, UNDERGROUND - EMPTY SPACE WIND: LIGHT RUSHING UNDERGROUND OR LEAKY WIND, HEAVY WHISTLING (debut)
- TECHNICOLOR GLASS SHATTER 01 (debut)