Christine (titled onscreen as John Carpenter's Christine) is a 1983 American supernatural horror film directed by John Carpenter and starring Keith Gordon, John Stockwell, Alexandra Paul, Robert Prosky and Harry Dean Stanton. The film also features supporting performances from Roberts Blossom and Kelly Preston.
Written by Bill Phillips and based on Stephen King's 1983 novel of the same title, the movie follows the changes in the lives of Arnie Cunningham, his friends, his family, and his teenage enemies after Arnie buys a classic red and white 1958 Plymouth Fury named Christine, licence number CQB 241, a car that seems to have a jealous, possessive personality and a mind of its own, which has a bad influence on Arnie.
Upon its release, the film grossed $21 million at the US box office. The film received mostly positive reviews from critics and has since become a cult classic.
In Detroit 1957, a red Plymouth Fury is built and is the cause of two accidents, one of them fatal, still in the assembly line. Twenty-one years later, the outcast and bullied nerd Arnold "Arnie" Cunningham is getting a ride with his best and only friend Dennis Guilder and he sees the wrecked car for sale in a garden. Arnie immediately falls in love with the car. The car was given the name Christine by its first owner. He brings the car to a repair shop of the despicable Will Darnell and works hard to restore the classic car. While he works in the restoration, he changes his personality to a cocky teenager and he dates the most beautiful girl in the high-school, Leigh Cabot. Soon Arnie becomes selfish and jealous of the supernatural Christine that kills everyone that is a threat to them.
Sound Effects Used
- CHRISTINE'S HORN (debut)
- SKYWALKER EXPLOSION 02
- SKYWALKER EXPLOSION 03
- SONY FIREBALL ROARING SOUND
- Sound Ideas, City Traffic Car Bys - Traffic bys, recorded in close proximity to road and tires
- Sound Ideas, City Traffic Close - City traffic and street sounds with car horns
- Sound Ideas, Combat Distant Explosions - Various explosions and reverberations in the distance
- Sound Ideas, CRASH, CART - MINING CART DERAILS AND CRASHES
- Sound Ideas, CRASH, CHINA - SMALL POT BREAK ON CARPET
- Sound Ideas, CRASH, DISHES - KNOCK OVER MAN CARRYING LARGE TRAY OF DISHES, SMASH