Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a 2005 musical fantasy film directed by Tim Burton and written by John August, based on the 1964 British novel of the same name by Roald Dahl. The film stars Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka and Freddie Highmore as Charlie Bucket, alongside David Kelly, Helena Bonham Carter, Noah Taylor, Missi Pyle, James Fox, Deep Roy, and Christopher Lee. The storyline follows Charlie as he wins a contest along with four other children and is led by Wonka on a tour of his chocolate factory.
The film's Sound Designer is Steve Boedekker. Skywalker Sound' was involved with sound design and re-recording (uncredited) on the film; they also served for re-recording services on the IMAX version of this film, but the rest of the sound post-production was outside of Skywalker.
Development for a second adaptation of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory began in 1991, which resulted in Warner Bros. providing the Dahl estate with total artistic control. Prior to Burton's involvement, directors such as Gary Ross, Rob Minkoff, Martin Scorsese, and Tom Shadyac had been involved, while actors Bill Murray, Nicolas Cage, Jim Carrey, Michael Keaton, Brad Pitt, Will Smith, Adam Sandler, and many others, were either in discussion with or considered by the studio to play Wonka.
Burton immediately brought regular collaborators Depp and Danny Elfman aboard. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory represents the first time since The Nightmare Before Christmas that Elfman contributed to a film score using written songs and his vocals. Filming took place from June to December 2004 at Pinewood Studios in the United Kingdom. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was released to positive critical reviews and was a box office success, grossing $475 million worldwide.
This is basically another adaptation of the 1964 Roald Dahl book, but has several differences from the 1971 film, such as the music and cast, and being more faithful to the original book.
Sound Effects Used
- Hollywoodedge, Cattle Cow Moo Bellow AT041501
- Hollywoodedge, Lightning 08 CloseG SIG012601
- SKYWALKER, CONVEYOR BELT SOUND
- SKYWALKER EXPLOSION 13
- SKYWALKER, EXPLOSION - BIG CRUNCH (Various edits used for candy fireworks.)
- SKYWALKER GEAR STICK SOUNDS
- SKYWALKER GLASS, SMASH - LARGE WINDOW CRASH
- SKYWALKER, SCI-FI - SCI FI ENGINE OR ROCKET START UP (Used for the elevator.)
- Sound Ideas, BOING, CARTOON - METAL WOBBLE BOING 01/Sound Ideas, CARTOON, TWANG - WOBBLING TWANG (low volume.)
- Sound Ideas, ELECTRICITY, SPARK - HIGH VOLTAGE SPARK, ELECTRICAL 02 (-12 or maybe -14 pitch used twice.)
- Sound Ideas, HORN, KLAXON - SUBMARINE KLAXON: SEVERAL 01 (Heard once.)
- Sound Ideas, RICOCHET - CARTOON RICCO 01 (Heard in which scene?)
- Sound Ideas, SCI FI - TRANSFORM (Used in reverse for the inventing room.)
- Sound Ideas, ZIP, CARTOON - BIG WHISTLE ZING OUT