Beverly Hills Ninja is a 1997 American martial arts comedy film directed by Dennis Dugan, written by Mark Feldberg and Mitch Klebanoff. The film stars Chris Farley, Nicollette Sheridan, Nathaniel Parker, with Chris Rock, and Robin Shou. The main plot revolves around Haru (portrayed by Farley), a white orphan boy who is found by a clan of ninjas as an infant in an abandoned treasure chest and is raised by them.
Haru never quite conforms to their culture and never acquires the skills of a ninja, but is nonetheless good natured, and persevering in his personal ambitions. His first mission brings him to Beverly Hills to investigate a murder mystery. It was the last film starring Farley to be released in his lifetime, as he died eleven months after its release.
Post Production Sound Services were provided by Skywalker Sound, a division of Lucas Digital Ltd.. Re-Recording Mixers are Tom Johnson and Lora Hirschberg. Robert Shoup serves as the Supervising Sound Editor, while the Sound Editors are Frank Eulner, Ethan Van der Ryn and Kim Christensen. Respectively, Marilyn McCoppen and Bruce Lacey are the ADR Editor and the Dialogue Editor. Karen A. Brocco, Marcie Romano, Dan Engstrom and Shannon Mills serve as Assistant Sound Editors, Ronald G. Roumas is the Re-Recordist and Marni L. Hammett is the Transfer Supervisor. Marnie Moore and Anita Cannella did foley as Foley Artists and Richard Duarte is the Foley Mixer.
Following a ship wreck, a baby is rescued by a clan of Ninja warriors and raised by them as one of their own. But Haru (Chris Farley), as he is called, never quite fits in, nor does he manage to make a worthy Ninja. However, the good-natured and persevering Haru, in his own bumbling way, and with some help from Gobei (Robin Shou), manages to prove himself to be a winner in the end.
Sound Effects Used
- Hollywoodedge, Machine Gun Silence PE1103601
- Hollywoodedge, Single Bullet Impact PE236401
- Hollywoodedge, Swish 12 Single PE117101
- SKYWALKER, AIRPLANE - DOGFIGHT, WWII AIRCRAFT, GUNFIRE (Gunfire only; used for machine guns.)
- SKYWALKER BODYFALL SOUNDS
- SKYWALKER BULLET RICOCHET 01 (Heard once in a high pitch.)
- SKYWALKER BULLET RICOCHET 04
- SKYWALKER, BULLET - BULLET OR RICOCHET SHINGS
- SKYWALKER, BULLET - SHORT, HIGH-PITCHED RICOCHET WHIZ (Used once in a higher pitch.)
- SKYWALKER, BULLET - SPARK-LIKE RICOCHET
- SKYWALKER EXPLOSION 01
- SKYWALKER EXPLOSION - CONCUSSIVE BLAST
- SKYWALKER, EXPLOSION - EXPLOSIVE RICOCHET, HIGH RICCO, EXPLOSION ACCENT
- SKYWALKER, EXPLOSION - SMALL EXPLOSION
- SKYWALKER, EXPLOSION - THERMAL DETONATOR: CHARGE 01
- SKYWALKER GLASS, SMASH - LARGE WINDOW CRASH
- SKYWALKER HIGH-PITCHED POW SOUND (Heard twice in a high-pitch.)
- SKYWALKER, HUMAN - EVIL LAUGH, SHORT, MALE
- SKYWALKER, JET - ARTOO'S ROCKET THRUSTERS
- SKYWALKER PUNCHING SOUNDS
- SKYWALKER, SCI-FI GUN - EVE'S LASER GUN
- SKYWALKER, SCI-FI GUN - PADME'S BLASTER PISTOL
- SKYWALKER, SMASH - BIG WALL SMASH
- SKYWALKER, THUNDER - LOUD CRACKLING IN A DARK NIGHT
- SKYWALKER, WHOOSH - SCREAM-LIKE PASS BY
- Sound Ideas, BIRD, CROW - COMMON CROW: CALLS, ANIMAL
- TECHNICOLOR SHOTGUN FIRE 01
- WB FIRE/HISS SOUND/SKYWALKER EXPLOSION 20 (SFX Cluster)