Batman is a 1960s American live action television series, based on the DC comic book character of the same name. It stars Adam West as Bruce Wayne / Batman and Burt Ward as Dick Grayson / Robin – two crime-fighting heroes who defend Gotham City from a variety of archvillains. It is known for its camp style, upbeat theme music, and its intentionally humorous, simplistic morality (aimed at its largely teenage audience). This included championing the importance of using seat belts, doing homework, eating vegetables, and drinking milk. It was described by executive producer William Dozier as the only situation comedy on the air without a laugh track. The 120 episodes aired on the ABC network for three seasons from January 12, 1966 to March 14, 1968, twice weekly during the first two seasons, and weekly for the third. In 2016, television critics Alan Sepinwall and Matt Zoller Seitz ranked Batman as the 82nd greatest American television show of all time. A companion feature film was released in 1966 between the first and second seasons of the TV show.
The series focuses on Batman and Robin as they defend Gotham City from its various criminals. Although the lives of their alter-egos, millionaire Bruce Wayne and his ward Dick Grayson are frequently shown, it is usually only briefly, in the context of their being called away on superhero business or in circumstances where they need to employ their public identities to assist in their crime-fighting. The "Dynamic Duo" typically comes to the aid of the Gotham City Police upon the latter being stumped by a supervillain. Throughout each episode, Batman and Robin follow a series of seemingly improbable clues to discover the supervillain's plan, then figure out how to thwart that plan and capture the criminal.
TV Show Intro
Sound Effects Used
- CAR CRASH HEAVY, GLASS SHATTER AFTER IMPACT (20th Century Fox) (heard in "Batman Makes The Scenes")
- Sound Ideas, AUTO, BAT MOBILE - ORIGINAL BAT MOBILE: APPROACH, SHUT OFF
- Sound Ideas, AUTO, BAT MOBILE - ORIGINAL BAT MOBILE: PASS BY
- Sound Ideas, AUTO, BAT MOBILE - ORIGINAL BAT MOBILE: START, PULL AWAY
- Sound Ideas, BODYFALL - BODYFALL ON DIRT, HUMAN 01
- Sound Ideas, CARTOON, SIREN - OLD POLICE, FIRE OR AMBULANCE SIREN
- Sound Ideas, DOOR, METAL - CLOSING IRON DOOR
- Sound Ideas, ELECTRONIC - ELECTRONIC ALARM: SLOW: ALSO THE 'BAT PHONE'
- Sound Ideas, METAL, HIT - SHARP METALLIC CLANKS 02