Always is a 1989 American romantic comedy-drama film directed by Steven Spielberg, and starring Richard Dreyfuss, Holly Hunter, John Goodman, Brad Johnson and Audrey Hepburn in her final film role.
Always is a remake of the 1943 romantic drama A Guy Named Joe set during World War II. The main departure from the 1943 film is the changing of the setting from wartime to a modern aerial firefighting operation. The film, however, follows the same basic plot line: the spirit of a recently dead expert pilot mentors a newer pilot, while watching him fall in love with the girlfriend he left behind. The names of the four principal characters of the earlier film are all the same, with the exception of the Ted Randall character, who is called Ted Baker in the remake, and Pete's last name is Sandich instead of Sandidge.
Pete Sandich and buddy Al Yackey are daredevil aerial forest-fire fighters. Pete finds True Love with Dorinda but won't give up the job. When he takes one risk too many, Dorinda faces deep grief and cannot easily put her life back together.
Sound Effects Used
- SKYWALKER, EXPLOSION - BIG, SHORT, DRY BLAST (debut)
- SKYWALKER, EXPLOSION - MASSIVE INFERNO ROARING (Heard in various pitches)
- SKYWALKER, EXPLOSION - SMALL EXPLOSION
- SKYWALKER, EXPLOSION - TANK FIRE
- SKYWALKER HIGH-PITCHED POW SOUND
- SKYWALKER, JET - ARTOO'S ROCKET THRUSTERS
- SKYWALKER, SCI-FI GUN - TIE FIGHTER GUN
- SKYWALKER, SIREN - STUKA SIREN WAIL BY, SHORT
- Sound Ideas, WIND - WIND MACHINE: CLEAN, ARTIFICIAL BREATHY WHISTLES