A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master is a 1988 American fantasy slasher film and the fourth installment in the Nightmare on Elm Street series. The film was directed by Renny Harlin and stars Robert Englund, Lisa Wilcox, and Danny Hassel. Following the death of Nancy Thompson, Freddy Krueger reappears in the dreams of Kristen Parker, Joey Crusel, and Roland Kincaid. After completing his revenge against the families who killed him, Krueger uses Kristen's best friend, Alice Johnson, to gain access to new victims in order to sate his murderous needs. The film is a sequel to A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) and was followed by A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989). The Dream Master is often popularly referred to as "the MTV Nightmare" of the franchise.
The film was released on August 19, 1988. It grossed $49.4 million at the box office on a budget of $6.5 million, which made it the highest-grossing film in the franchise until the release of Freddy vs. Jason, a crossover with the Friday the 13th film series, in 2003.
- A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
- A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)
- A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)
- A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989)
- Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)
- Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994)
- Freddy vs. Jason (2003)
- A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)